Saturday, March 14, 2009

Surgery End of Posting Exam

Hi again!!! Hmm..i'm been busy for the past 3 weeks, and even didn't hv time to write new entry. I thinking about writing several post this time. Firstly i want to write about Surgery end of posting examination i had on 16&17 February 2009. On 16 was written examination and on 17 was my long case examination.


Through our clinical posting, only surgery posting will have a long case in our end of posting exam. Medicine and peads will have shortcase exam and for O&G and Primary care medicine don't have any of it. In the long case examination, we will be given an hour to clerk and do examination on a patient before we present the case to the examiner.

That morning, the coordinator was Mr Tai, and he called up our names and patients bed.Only god know how the atmosphere that morning. Everyone was restless and wandering what case and what kind of patients that we will have.

I was given patient on bed 46, a 80 years old patient. That day, it was so challenging because i have to drill all the information in 1 hour. At first, everything that patients said did not making any sense to me, maybe due to the nervousness and i have to race with time. Later, i calm down and retracing my steps and tried to lead my case through what my patient complained and i finally able to figured out his case. After that, everything goes smoothly from completing the history, physical examination, provisonal diagnosis and the investigation.

when the lecturer came, i was a bit calm since i'm able to prepare my case. He did asks a lot of questions, ask me to do a physical examination, and drilled through me. It was my very long 30minutes and through every minutes goes by, i hope he stops asking questions. What a felief when he asked to called my friends to be examined.


After the examination, for me, the time i had spent with my patients in the surgery wards are the most precious time for us, medical students.I'll really appreciate the WR. For your information, my group surgery posting was the most busy compared to other group that already had the surgery posting. We had total more than 20 wards round + tutorials, and every ward round, we would have at least 1 case and at most 3/4 of the ward(40patients). Thanks to As.Prof. George Lee, Dr. KL Ng, Dr. Khaidir, Mr Soma, Dr Shanggar, Dr Yoong, Dr Faizal and Dr Micheal for the 8weeks we spends with them.Not forgetting the nurse and staff of ward 3A,ward 4A and Operation room of HTAR. After this, i'm going for Medicine posting again after 1 month of Community Residency programme.

No comments:

Post a Comment